Adult Ed/ESOL/Workers rights training

DA
Dammann, Adair
Thu, Mar 30, 2023 2:02 AM

I am interested in hooking up with folks in our network who have experience developing and deploying curriculum in the Adult Ed/Workers Rights/ESOL nexus.
We are interesting in exploring:

  • what kinds of organizations are offering community-based or union-based programs ESOL training centered in workers' rights?
  • what is the biggest need in this area (content/literacy level)?
  • how have you deployed curriculum (though community college, non-profits, unions)
  • taught by staff in-house, or via a contracted non-profit?

Please contact me with sources.  Thank you in advance!

Adair Dammann

Director

WA Labor Education and Research Center

cell: 206-409-1329

I am interested in hooking up with folks in our network who have experience developing and deploying curriculum in the Adult Ed/Workers Rights/ESOL nexus. We are interesting in exploring: * what kinds of organizations are offering community-based or union-based programs ESOL training centered in workers' rights? * what is the biggest need in this area (content/literacy level)? * how have you deployed curriculum (though community college, non-profits, unions) * taught by staff in-house, or via a contracted non-profit? Please contact me with sources. Thank you in advance! Adair Dammann Director WA Labor Education and Research Center cell: 206-409-1329
DA
Dickson, Alison
Fri, Mar 31, 2023 4:36 PM

Hi Adair:

We've been working in these intersections in Illinois for the past decade and I'm happy to chat with you sometime.

Here's a link with a little information about the non-union workers' rights training programhttps://lep.illinois.edu/workers-rights-for-all/ we've built as well as a link to download our workers' rights for workforce development curriculum. We also just received funding to update all of these materials and expand our scope for workers' rights training in high schools and career track programming in community colleges. I'm currently working with partners across the country to see how these materials could be replicated for other cities/states.

Please email me if you are interested in learning more!

Alison

ALISON DICKSON (SHE/HER)
Senior Instructor
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
School of Labor and Employment Relations

PhD Student
University of Illinois at Chicago
College of Urban Planning and Policy

aquesada@illinois.edumailto:aquesada@illinois.edu
www.ler.illinois.eduhttp://www.ler.illinois.edu/

[https://webtools.illinois.edu/webservices/js/ds/signature_logog_165.png]http://illinois.edu/

Under the Illinois Freedom of Information Act any written communication to or from university employees regarding university business is a public record and may be subject to public disclosure.

I am interested in hooking up with folks in our network who have experience developing and deploying curriculum in the Adult Ed/Workers Rights/ESOL nexus.
We are interesting in exploring:

  • what kinds of organizations are offering community-based or union-based programs ESOL training centered in workers' rights?
  • what is the biggest need in this area (content/literacy level)?
  • how have you deployed curriculum (though community college, non-profits, unions)
  • taught by staff in-house, or via a contracted non-profit?

Please contact me with sources.  Thank you in advance!

Adair Dammann

Director

WA Labor Education and Research Center

cell: 206-409-1329

Hi Adair: We've been working in these intersections in Illinois for the past decade and I'm happy to chat with you sometime. Here's a link with a little information about the non-union workers' rights training program<https://lep.illinois.edu/workers-rights-for-all/> we've built as well as a link to download our workers' rights for workforce development curriculum. We also just received funding to update all of these materials and expand our scope for workers' rights training in high schools and career track programming in community colleges. I'm currently working with partners across the country to see how these materials could be replicated for other cities/states. Please email me if you are interested in learning more! Alison ALISON DICKSON (SHE/HER) Senior Instructor University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign School of Labor and Employment Relations PhD Student University of Illinois at Chicago College of Urban Planning and Policy aquesada@illinois.edu<mailto:aquesada@illinois.edu> www.ler.illinois.edu<http://www.ler.illinois.edu/> [https://webtools.illinois.edu/webservices/js/ds/signature_logog_165.png]<http://illinois.edu/> Under the Illinois Freedom of Information Act any written communication to or from university employees regarding university business is a public record and may be subject to public disclosure. ________________________________ From: Dammann, Adair <Adair.Dammann@Seattlecolleges.edu> Sent: Wednesday, March 29, 2023 9:02 PM To: ualelist@list.uale.org <ualelist@list.uale.org> Subject: [Ualeindiv] Adult Ed/ESOL/Workers rights training I am interested in hooking up with folks in our network who have experience developing and deploying curriculum in the Adult Ed/Workers Rights/ESOL nexus. We are interesting in exploring: * what kinds of organizations are offering community-based or union-based programs ESOL training centered in workers' rights? * what is the biggest need in this area (content/literacy level)? * how have you deployed curriculum (though community college, non-profits, unions) * taught by staff in-house, or via a contracted non-profit? Please contact me with sources. Thank you in advance! Adair Dammann Director WA Labor Education and Research Center cell: 206-409-1329
WB
William Barry
Fri, Mar 31, 2023 8:31 PM

Here is a section of a web page I did when I worked at Dundalk Community
College. Every student was a worker, often rushing from a job at Wal-Mart
to take a class, and they had many of the usual questions about how they
were treated at work.
So I created this resource, using expert presenters,and it was very
popular. (I saw "was" because I am now retired).
http://www.billbarry.net/WorkplaceRights.htm

Bill Barry (Baltimore)

On Wed, Mar 29, 2023 at 10:03 PM Dammann, Adair <
Adair.Dammann@seattlecolleges.edu> wrote:

I am interested in hooking up with folks in our network who have
experience developing and deploying curriculum in the Adult Ed/Workers
Rights/ESOL nexus.
We are interesting in exploring:

- what kinds of organizations are offering community-based or
union-based programs ESOL training centered in workers' rights?
- what is the biggest need in this area (content/literacy level)?
- how have you deployed curriculum (though community college,
non-profits, unions)
- taught by staff in-house, or via a contracted non-profit?

Please contact me with sources.  Thank you in advance!

Adair Dammann

Director

WA Labor Education and Research Center

cell: 206-409-1329

See UALE's website at <uale.org>. You can also like us on Facebook and
follow us on Twitter

--
"We are either part of the solution or part of the problem"

"The only reason an organization has dead wood is that management either
hired dead wood or it hired live wood and killed it."  - W. Edwards Deming

Here is a section of a web page I did when I worked at Dundalk Community College. Every student was a worker, often rushing from a job at Wal-Mart to take a class, and they had many of the usual questions about how they were treated at work. So I created this resource, using expert presenters,and it was very popular. (I saw "was" because I am now retired). http://www.billbarry.net/WorkplaceRights.htm Bill Barry (Baltimore) On Wed, Mar 29, 2023 at 10:03 PM Dammann, Adair < Adair.Dammann@seattlecolleges.edu> wrote: > I am interested in hooking up with folks in our network who have > experience developing and deploying curriculum in the Adult Ed/Workers > Rights/ESOL nexus. > We are interesting in exploring: > > - what kinds of organizations are offering community-based or > union-based programs ESOL training centered in workers' rights? > - what is the biggest need in this area (content/literacy level)? > - how have you deployed curriculum (though community college, > non-profits, unions) > - taught by staff in-house, or via a contracted non-profit? > > > Please contact me with sources. Thank you in advance! > > Adair Dammann > > Director > > WA Labor Education and Research Center > > cell: 206-409-1329 > _______________________________________________ > UALEList mailing list -- ualelist@list.uale.org > To unsubscribe send an email to ualelist-leave@list.uale.org > > See UALE's website at <uale.org>. You can also like us on Facebook and > follow us on Twitter > -- "We are either part of the solution or part of the problem" "The only reason an organization has dead wood is that management either hired dead wood or it hired live wood and killed it." - W. Edwards Deming